If you’re as obsessed with Chef’s Table as I am, you know of Chef Alain Passard. His Michelin restaurant Arpege has had three Michelin stars since 1996, and was ranked the 12th best restaurant on the World’s 50 Best list this year. Chef Passard’s specialty is cooking vegetables, picked fresh from his garden – his menu is almost entirely vegan, and is one of the best meals I’ve ever had. That coming from a total carnivore, you know that it has to be some incredible veggies. (He almost turned me vegetarian!)
The cherry on top of a perfect meal was meeting Chef Passard himself – he happily walked around the dining room hugging every guest, posing for pictures, and welcoming them to his “home,” making every guest feel part of his Arpege family. I’ll never forget the way he looked me directly in the eyes and gleefully proclaimed, “I LOVE FOOD!” Me too, Alain, me too.
It is so inspirational to see a chef who just loves cooking so much that he can’t stay away from his kitchen. It’s clear he’s not in it for the fame, but for the pure love of food. I can’t wait to go back and visit his gardens on my next trip to Paris.
August 28, 2017 lunch menu:
1. Vegetable tarts
2. Tomato gazpacho with mustard ice cream
3. Hot and cold egg with maple syrup and sherry vinegar
4. Vegetable ravioli in a tomato broth
5. Raw beet sushi with black olive sauce
6. Mediterranean couscous with veggies, apple, shallots and semolina
7. Zucchini bell pepper mint soup
8. Tomato carpaccio with fresh mozzarella and strawberries
9. Terrine of pork
10. Potato spaghetti with smoked eel
11. Red beet tartare with cucumber oil
12. Vegetable risotto
13. Chicken cooked in fig leaves with smoked eggplant caviar, tomato caramel, and beet root
15. Rhubarb ice cream
16. Twelve flavors tomato with verbena ice cream
Looking for more restaurants in Paris? Click here!