Believe it or not, there is a downside to a trip to Spain in January: a lot of the best restaurants are closed for the holidays! Yep, I booked a vacation during the only two weeks when all the fine dining establishments were also on vacation. Great minds think alike? (That's okay, though, it just gives me an excuse to return!)
But lucky for me, after two weeks traipsing up and down the Spanish coasts and exploring Barcelona, Granada, Seville, and San Sebastián, I had one last night in Barcelona before our flight home the next day. And, miraculously, my last night was the first night that Disfrutar reopened after their holiday break. Dreams do come true!
Naturally, I didn't realize this overlap until the day of, and, naturally, this two Michelin-starred restaurant (#58 on The World's Best 50) had been fully booked months in advance. But by some stroke of Spanish luck I was able to call the restaurant and snag a last minute lunch reservation! ¡Que suerte!
"Disfrutar" means "to enjoy" in Spanish, and enjoy this meal I absolutely did. Their 30-course tasting menu (the most courses I've ever had in my life!) was a playful, sensory experience unlike anything I’ve had before. I loved the use of scent in addition to taste, and the presentations were gorgeous and interactive. The cherry on top of an incredible meal was meeting two of the three talented chefs behind the restaurant, Chefs Oriol Castro and Eduard Xatruch (formerly of El Bulli). These culinary icons were so kind, passionate about food, and extremely proud of their restaurant. I'm so lucky that their first day open after the holidays coincided with my last day in Europe!! What a trip. See the full menu and pictures from Disfrutar below!
January 9, 2018 lunch tasting menu:
1. Frozen passion fruit ladyfinger with rum
2. The beet that comes out of the land + Lychee and roses
3. Panchino/filled with beluga caviar
4. Savory walnut candy with mango, tonka beans and whisky
5. Mille-feuille of "idiazabal" + smoked instant apple cider
6. Mandarin flower wafer
7. Disfrutar Gilda
8. Gazpacho sandwich with vinegar garnish
9. "Super tender" almonds in vinaigrette
10. Crispy egg yolk with mushrooms gelatine
11. Multi spherical tatin of foie gras and corn
12. Ceviche deconstruction
13. Salmon ribs with tarragon mojo
14. Razor clams with seaweed in salt
15. Our macaroni carbonara
16. Liquid salad
17. Tomato "polvoron" and arbequina oil caviar
18. Sea cucumber "a la gallega"
19. Langoustine in "suquet" + 20. Cappucino "suquet"
21. Hare and foie gras bonbon + 22. Hare cold juice with tarragon
24. Pibil squab
26. Black sesame cornet
27. Cherries 2017
28. "Tarta al whisky"
29. Coffee Swiss roll
30. Cotton of cocoa and mint