I love all things floral, so I had high hopes for this three Michelin star restaurant named for a flower. Chef Rasmus Kofoed and business partner Soren Ledet (both former sous chefs at Noma) did not let me down in the slightest – it was my favorite tasting menu of all time. Geranium, located in Copenhagen, Denmark, is currently ranked #19 on the World’s Best 50 list, but it's honestly #1 on my personal best restaurant list. It’s hard to find words to describe how incredible and inspiring this meal was. All I can say is that weeks later I can’t stop thinking about these dishes and the flavors I experienced. This meal is permanently imprinted in my brain - one of those life changing (and life affirming!) experiences that I will always remember.
Each dish had a floral note to it, so I really felt like the menu and my palate were made for each other. Literal soul mates. Thank you, Geranium, for making my wildest dreams come true with your restaurant. I’ve never identified with a restaurant so much and I am so grateful I got the chance to experience it.
September 1, 2017 lunch menu:
1. Lobster, milk, juice from fermented carrots & sea buckthorn
2. Jerusalem artichoke leaves, hazelnut oil & rye vinegar
3. “Razor clam” with minerals & sour cream
4. Tomato water, ham fat & aromatic herbs
5. “Dillstone” mackerel, horseradish & frozen juice from pickled dill
6. Nettles, smoked cheese & dried oysters
7. Sprouted & grilled broccoli, dried trout & oyster flowers
8. Salted hake, parsley stems & caviar in buttermilk
9. Crispy grains, bread with old grains & gluten free bread with seeds
10. Langoustine in juniper aroma, Ingrid Marie reduction & browned butter
11. Lightly Salted Turbot, green herbs, celeriac & pickled pine
12. Tartlet with Fjord shrimp, sol & pickled elderflowers
13. Cabbage sprouts, chicken & hay beer
14. A bite of beetroot, blackcurrant, yoghurt & tagetes
15. Ice cream from beeswax & pollen with intense rhubarb
16. Caramel with roasted grains, chamomile & blackberry
17. The end
18. Sweets: carrot tree, cake with pumpkin seed oil, caramel + dried plum juice + aromatic seeds, chocolate with oats & sea buckthorn, marshmallow with rose hip, green egg with pin
Looking for more restaurants in Copenhagen? Click here!