Nashville: 9 Places You Need To Eat In Music City
I’d previously made a brief pit stop in Nashville on the 2016 #CarnivorrRoadtrip with my mom, but I was thrilled to return for a deeper dive into the city’s vibrant food scene. There’s way too many great restaurants to cram them all into a day!
1. Rolf and Daughters - Small plates. Fun vibe. Great wine. This Germantown gem is my favorite casual restaurant in Nashville. The plates change seasonally - when I visited, I devoured a stracciatella toast with apple butter, a corn agnolotti sent straight from the heavens (their pastas are all handmade in house), and a banana chocolate ice cream bar. Their naturally-focused wine list includes some of my favorite producers (Gut Oggau, Tschida, Partida Creus, Frank Cornelissen). Reservations fill quickly, but you can always walk in and order the full menu at the bar.
2. Henrietta Red - Another great spot in Germantown (this is definitely Nashville’s greatest food neighborhood at the moment) is Chef Julia Sullivan’s Henrietta Red, a semi-finalist for the James Beard "Best New Restaurant” award in 2018. After my brunch there, I can HIGHLY recommend the monkey bread with an orange glaze, the farmer’s market quiche (ingredients change daily), and the citrus-cured salmon with an everything bialy. Rumor has it they have great natural wines here too - next time, I’m coming for dinner!
3. Hattie B’s - We got caught in a rainstorm on the way to Hattie B’s, but that didn’t stop us from grabbing some hot chicken. Some of my favorite fried chicken in the world!
4. Husk - Award-winning chef Sean Brock has four Husk restaurants down south - two in South Carolina, one in Georgia, and this outpost, run by exectuive chef Katie Coss, in Nashville. You really feel at home in this restaurant, located inside a historic old townhouse, where local ingredients are championed and Tennessee produce is celebrated. It’s feel-good, delicious Southern food - our favorites included the deviled eggs, pimento cheese dip, the cheeseburger, and the chocolate pie with peanut butter ice cream and brown butter caramel. Comfort food at its finest!
5. Pancake Pantry - So much more than a place to grab some flapjacks, the Pancake Pantry has been around for over 50 years and it still draws a line of people every day. They have 23 varieties of pancakes; don’t be afraid to try their funky flavors. Our favorites were the sweet potato pancakes and the savory cornmeal pancakes with green chiles, cheddar cheese, bacon, sour cream, and salsa.
6. Dozen Bakery - I’m always on a hunt for the best bakery in town - in Nashville, it’s Dozen Bakery! They sell artisanal bread, cookies, pies, pastries, and breakfast sandwiches, all made using local and organic ingredients. The result is absolutely delicious. Everything was super tasty, but my favorite was the lemon lavender pie.
7. Catbird Seat - Well, Chef Ryan Poli has left the building, and I don’t know what this means for the future of the Catbird Seat, but I was fortunate enough to pay a visit to this U-shaped dining room before he left Nashville. (And rumor has it he’s opening a spot in LA soon, so get excited, Angelenos!) Catbird Seat has changed chefs and directions since my visit, so I can’t report on the new menu, but Ryan’s tasting menu wasn’t just my favorite meal in Nashville, it was one of my favorite meals of last year. So I decided to include it in this Nashville guide anyway.
8. Barista Parlor - Really cute, local coffee chain with a few locations in Nashville. I loved the vibe here, and also loved my artisanal pumpkin spice latte.
9. Steadfast Coffee - A cute Germantown coffee shop with healthy breakfast and lunch offerings and craft coffee drinks. I visited twice during my trip and tried their butterscotch latte (my favorite!), chai latte, and the avocado tartine with labneh and pistachio (amazing!!).
Westin Nashville - This may be the best Westin hotel I have ever stayed in - just look at that rooftop pool!! Such a fun hotel and a great location in the heart of downtown Nashville. And the dreamy Westin beds are some of the best hotel beds out there.
Following along on Instagram? See more from the trip at #CarnivorrNashville.